Thursday, October 29, 2009

Petrosexuals

The terms Homosexual, bisexual, metro-sexual, transsexual, solo-sexual et al., are the words, we're all acquainted with. However, what/who is a "Petro-sexual"???
According to the Urban Dictionary, a petrosexual is a term used to describe a person who is obsessed with cars/automobiles/bikes.

Come to think of it, most guys are petrosexuals of varying degree. This obsession for automobiles is innate in most of us. People who know very little or nothing about this can't be blamed (especially my girlfriend, who always used to get annoyed whenever I gave an exotic/rare automobile more attention than her when it appeared in front of me).


People may wonder why anybody would give so much importance to automobiles/motorcycles. Well, for a layman, it may seem like a means of getting from Point A to Point B, or a white elephant that helps to accelerate the rate at which your wallet gets lighter. But for an aficionado or an enthusiast, it is about the passion, the love, the want to keep oneself updated, the joy of experiencing the machines, and of course, the desire to make it a collectible.

A petrosexual judges a person by the vehicle he/she drives in. The basic characteristics of a person are reflected in the way he/she up keeps the vehicle.

Right from childhood I used to fancy automobiles. It started off with the toys my dad used to get whenever he went abroad. I could recall all the vehicle models, their engine output, approximate year of manufacture, and all the other facts. This interest in me made my parents feel that I'd grow up to become an engineer, but sadly life took its own turns, and here I am with a Post graduation in Marketing and Human Resources.

Reality apart, my dream job is that of an automobile test driver for a reputed Auto Mag or show. No wonder Jeremy Clarkson is my inspiration.

To end it, we all need to realise that the future of these machines is not as bright as the golden era spanning through the 60s to this decade.
The internal combustion engine will have a slow death and will eventually be conquered by uninteresting yet significant vehicles like hybrids, electrics, bio-diesels, and various other lawn mover powered vehicles. So make the best use of it right now.

Believe me, for these are the words of a Petrosexual.

No comments:

Post a Comment