Saturday, February 27, 2010

Anomalies not applicable

To tell you the truth, I'm an individual who's highly biased towards Kerala and its people. I've had this strong affinity towards them since time immemorial. So much so that, whenever anybody speaks against the state or it people, I get disturbed. I’ve come across a lot of people with various stereotypes who’re against my beliefs. My friend from Nagpur (let’s call him ‘Wise Guy’), who works as a coordinator of sorts with various hospitals across Kerala happened to be the cynical detractor this time. Here, I share with you the conversation we had on Facebook chat (I'm still wondering if this was meant to be an affront).

I: Hey wassup bro?

Wise guy: Hi I’m fine. In Trivandrum now.

I: Oh that’s cool. So, till when are you going to be there?

Wise guy: What do you mean by “cool”? I’m dying of the heat and humidity here. And I’ve to be here till March 4th.

I: Hey I said it was cool because you’ve got a chance to see the place.

Wise Guy: Dude I feel like getting out of here. I’ve had enough of Kerala.
I have started “liking” the people living here

I: ha-ha-ha... Then you should probably start searching for a nice girl from Kerala and settle there itself?

Wise Guy: I meant “Disliking”. Not liking.

I: Why what happened? What makes you say so?

Wise Guy: One of the reasons maybe that people here don’t work. Rather they make a lot of noise after doing something simple and make you feel that they’ve done something great. This was what I inferred from working here.

I: Huh???

Wise Guy: People don’t work with the intention of developing the overall organization. They only work for themselves.

I: Ok that’s the issue... You know something? Keralites are one of the most hardworking people when they go to work outside Kerala, but in their own hometowns, they may be like this. I say maybe because not all are like the way you think.

Wise Guy: They don’t even take ownership to the work they did if it happens to be a failure.

I: Dude, have you ever seen Keralites working in the Gulf or other big cities in India? I don’t think anybody else can match up to their work. I think we give the best deal when it comes to hard, fruitful work for a given price.

Wise Guy: I know bro, but I don’t understand one common phenomenon here. Why do women boast so much in this place?

Wise Guy: I find this annoying habit in every working woman I see here.

I: Huh???

Wise Guy: Yeah man. It’s true.

I: Dude it may be only with you that such things are happening. They’re probably bragging because you’re from another state, or they may be trying to impress you ;-)

Wise Guy: Nope man. It’s not only with me.

Wise Guy: Here, people who are in top positions are nothing but liars and all that they want is to grab money from people in some or the other way.

I: Huh???

Wise Guy: Only a few people who are in the topmost positions are sincere in keeping up their words and bound by some principles. Others are just hopeless to work with. Because, you never know when these guys are going to cheat you. I’m telling you my experience.

I: Oh my God! You're getting really passionate about this topic.

Wise Guy: I'm telling you all this because I've met and studied the behaviour of more than a 100 people who are in very good positions in both private and public sector. That’s because I deal with these people on a daily basis.

Wise Guy: Yeah dude, they are like this, they are like that blah blah blah……Strikes, rallies, etc. They’re also bad in this, that, yada yada yada.

Wise Guy: Hey man where are you? Got bored with the foolish topic, eh?

Wise Guy: Hello????

Arjun is offline.


PS: I found many of the above "allegations" surprising. I think every individual has his/her set of biases to justify with and this was just one of those examples. I have never worked in Kerala and that is why I probably don't know of the situation there in this context, but I definitely don't want to create some unwanted and malicious prejudice against it from hearsay or without experiencing it myself. All I know is that I enjoy the place whenever I go there, I enjoy travelling, I enjoy the superfluity of natural beauty, I enjoy the local cuisine, I enjoy the company of my associates there, and I don't think I can ask for anything more. So, as of now, I'm going by only one policy. The policy I'm using for my own reasoning which says- IGNORANCE IS BLISS.

12 comments:

  1. someone has correctly commented about kerala.....
    "GOD'S OWN COUNTRY, DEVIL'S OWN PEOPLE."...........
    KERALITES ARE D MOST CORRUPTED ONE......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet the above thoughts would have come out of a Malayali's mouth itself. Such is the level of self-righteousness we possess. Everybody around seems to be at fault while they themselves carry that most virtuous, holier-than-thou feeling in their hearts. We need to learn some basics of fanatism and unity from the Tamilians or the Northies. Thanks Niva for putting down your views :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. while there is a lot of truth in what ur friend says, there are exaggerations aplenty.
    reg kerala women boasting - -well, i really dont know what it's all about.am forwarding this to a few keralites;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @KT Teacher: Even I'm realising there is a lot of truth in it, but doesn't every community have its own flaws? This just happens to be an exaggerated version of ours. Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting;-D!!!!
    Well I have to agree abt the weather....and I hrd tht this year the summer is particularly harsh;-o

    ReplyDelete
  6. The summer's not only harsh in Kerala, but also here in Bangalore. Thank God I'm in my office when the sun is at its peak performance mode. Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, you are biased towards kerala and its people..me too... so we have a good stating point !
    if I were you, I would be upset too, when someone talks about my home like that

    However, there are few things which not everyone, especially the NRKs like us may not be fully aware of.

    Keralites, without doubt, are one of the best in class work force that shines across the globe. However at home things are a bit different.

    -we enjoy maximum number of unofficial holidays a.k.a hartals, 100 of them in a year !! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartal)
    -Put that together with 104 weekly holidays (52 weeks, lot of offices are 5day week), a staggering 204 holidays in a year .... gods knows when they work ;) ( http://savekerala.blogspot.com/2006/09/how-hartals-and-bandhs-hijacked-our.html)
    -Virtually no industries, no agriculture , fully dependent on neighbors. If tamil nadu shuts the shop, kerala will starve and die
    - heard of nokku kooli ?? (http://keralaarticles.blogspot.com/2006/12/musclemen-of-kerala.html)
    -Sets and betters records on boozing ( http://finance.indiainfo.com/article/0903311520_kerala_liquor_beer_sales_on_a_record_high/329954.html)

    list can go on...

    Gods own country ? yes.. gods own people ?? naaaah ..

    yes you are right.. every community has flows in it.. but let us not get upset talking about .. rather talk more about it, and see if we can make some positive change about it

    (love the way you write.. keep them coming... )

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Naveen Bhai: Woah!!! You've done a lot of research there I must say. I surely second all your points and do think that we all should do something about it rather than just sitting at home and cribbing.

    Kerala is, in fact, much more developed than the rest of the country in a few areas. Some of them are:

    1) The priority it gave to education (as reflected by the literacy rate)

    2) The importance it gives to women (I think many may disagree with this). Kerala's society is less patriarchal than any other state in the country. Look at the population of Kerala... There are more females than males. What does this suggest? The lowest level of female infanticide in the country. Also the fact that women get their rightful share of property from their families while other states didn't even have such rules in their books (speak about equitable gender relations).

    3) I'm sure a lot of people are burning their livers faster than the time taken by an f1 car to cover a quarter mile, but otherwise, the state has been known to have the healthiest people in the country (I said otherwise). Not to forget the penchant for cleanliness that almost every Malayali has which cannot be compared with any other state. Just look inside a bus or on the streets. All you'll find is people meticulously groomed with oiled hair and neatly ironed clothes that reflect sunlight out of it. Sure you do sweat a lot due to the hmidity, but who cares? Just take a bath twice or thrice a day seems to be the mantra to counteract this.

    4) Kerala has also been most liberal to religion (http://www.kerala-tourism.org/religion-in-kerala/index.html). Just compare this figure with any other state's and you'll know what I'm talking about.

    5) And lastly, how can you forget the 'visual orgasm' the state provides from the plethora of natural beauty it offers??? Unmatchable!!!

    Phew! It looks more like a blog post to me. So much for justifying Kerala! ;)

    Correct me if I'm wrong.

    Thanks for visiting. Have been waiting for your feedbacks since you started following.

    Keep them coming!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) .. happened to be one of my fav topic.. and its fun to annoy someone ;)
    like the way you feel for kerala and its people..
    have fun !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Arjun,
    Didn't know you became such a hot shot blogger in such a short time. Damn impressed at the frequency and quality man :) ... keep it up!

    About Kerala... tang da dang (I'm a notorious Kerala fan in blog circles, hence the music)

    Anyways here are my two cents. Problems and faults are present in every society. Kerala, has been subject to a higher number of criticisms and analyses, probably due its vast diaspora. Most of the accusations are true (not the ones mentioned in your post, but the general stereotypes) but they tend to get exaggerated because of the sheer numbers. There is also the unfair comparison of Kerala as a state to metropolitan(/cosmopolitan) cities. A comparison of states would probably give a better idea on where Kerala stands in the issues mentioned above.

    Good post (albeit one that every Malayalee is forced to write in his blog life)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @The Layman: Thanks a lot man. Have been waiting from a long time for you to give me your views on my writing. You got some valid points there. Happy I found another 'I love Kerala' club member :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. For the next several days, the Atlanta Journal Constitution ran headlineseach morning of the existence of the androids. Ginger pulled the gun out of her skirt.
    beastiality stories found herself on stage
    male masturbation swallow sperm stories
    free xxx indian stories
    women in self bondage stories
    incest stories post free
    For the next several days, the Atlanta Journal Constitution ran headlineseach morning of the existence of the androids. Ginger pulled the gun out of her skirt.

    ReplyDelete